Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Yellow Dog

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
Proverbs 17:28


It is a difficult time in the State of Texas. Hurricane Ike, a storm of historic magnitude slammed into the coast last week leaving mayhem and destruction in its path. Galveston Island was heavily damaged, cities were literally wiped off the map, and Houston suffered extreme water and wind damage. To the credit of those in authority, mandatory evacuations prevented the loss of life seen in similar storms in the past. But still, lack of electricity, shortages of gasoline and problems with the water supply are making life difficult for those who have weathered the storm.

In our family, one of the consequences of the storm is that my husband’s parents are staying with us for an undetermined amount of time. Initial estimates were that electricity would not be restored at their home for five weeks. That estimate has since been reduced to a more realistic three to four weeks. Jerry and I have been married for 35 years. I am richly blessed with in-laws who truly consider me to be their daughter. There is no question that I am loved. Likewise, I love and respect my in-laws as if they were my own parents.

So, you ask, “What’s the big deal?”

Well, I am a rather ardent conservative and my father-in-law is a yellow dog democrat. For those who don’t know, a yellow dog democrat is one who would vote for a yellow dog on the ballot before they would vote for a republican. I did not understand the concept myself until shortly after my husband and I were married. It was then that I made the mistake of announcing, in my father-in-law’s house, that I intended to vote for a republican in the upcoming election. I was young, it was the first election in which I could vote, and I did not realize that there were some things that should not be shared in mixed company. Imagine my surprise when I was invited to leave my in-laws’ home for my announcement.

OK, technically, he kicked me out. Back then, I was too hard-headed to apologize for offending my father-in-law. But, I was also too sensitive to take the news without crying. Jerry followed me out of the house, telling his dad, “I don’t sleep with you” when asked where he was going. I cried all the way home as Jerry tried to explain to me that there were some things his dad was just set in his ways about.

Now, 35 years later, our differences continue. We are in the middle of one of the most contentious political races I have ever seen. But, we are not at my father-in-law’s house. We are at MY house. Instead of watching FOX News, I have compromised and turn on MSNBC where we are bombarded with political coverage of the candidates. My father-in-law would still vote for a yellow dog. I’m still going to vote republican.

What’s the difference? I love my in-laws too much to make politics an issue. I know that to discuss politics would be foolish and recognize the proverb to be true. If I will just keep silent I will be considered wise. Sometimes the rule applies in other situations, too.

Lord, give grace and mercy to those who are dealing with the consequences of this hurricane. Conform us to Your image as we work through the day to day issues of those who are displaced from their homes.

No comments: