Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Basset Hounds Don't Climb Trees

Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.
Proverbs 30:5


Over the years the scriptures that refer to God as a refuge have become very dear to me. There have been so many times when I, like the psalmists and other characters of the Bible, have found myself running to the Lord as fast as I could to hide myself in His love, protection and peace. It is not because I think that I deserve it that I run to Him. It is because I know He will never fail me.

One day last week I got a great visual of the concept of taking refuge in the Lord when I heard our basset hounds whining at the back door to get out into the yard. Unlike their predecessor, the two bassets currently in residence with us have not declared our yard a cat free / squirrel free zone. As a result, the squirrels have become quite a nuisance, eating all the feed left out for the birds and making nests in my husband’s woodworking shop.

On this particular day, there was a squirrel on one of the bird feeders hanging from a tree. What made this day different was that the dogs noticed the squirrel. Now, obviously the squirrel has been hanging around our back yard for a while, because when I first opened the door and the dogs rushed out, the squirrel did not even look up from his task of consuming all the bird seed. But within seconds, Matilda’s genetic code kicked in and she was on the scent of the prey. She flew off of the deck, sounding the call that she was leading the hunt. Samuel, (who probably has never figured out that Lord made him to be a hunting dog) joined in the baying because that is what bassets do.

It only took a matter of seconds for the dogs to clear the deck and cover the 50 feet or so to the base of the large oak tree. Somewhere between my opening the door and the dogs’ arrival the squirrel realized that this was not a regular day in the neighborhood. He quickly scampered away to take refuge in the upper branches of the tree.

But, knowing that he was safely out of reach of his adversaries, the squirrel did not hide. He merely sat up on the branch mocking the frustration of the dogs as they jumped up howling and hurling themselves at the base of the tree, doing their level best to reach their prey.
When we take refuge in the Lord, it is wise to remember what that squirrel knew all along. There may be big, hairy beasts howling at our heels, but when we take refuge with the Lord we are safe.

Basset hounds don’t climb trees.

Lord, thank you that you are our refuge in times of trouble. Amen.

No comments: