Monday, August 25, 2008

The American Dream

Disclosure: My devotionals for the next few days may consider material that is political in nature. My goal is to apply scripture to the governing process. I will vote Republican in the upcoming election. The Republican candidate was neither my first nor my second choice for who I would like to see in the White House. My choice is based on the application of the Word of God to the circumstances at hand. The single thing that would make me change my vote would be a conviction by the Holy Spirit that I am wrong in that application.

It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.
Proverbs 25:2


Yesterday we finished the media coverage of “all Olympics all the time” and today we have begun the “all Democrat Convention all the time” coverage. Truthfully, I probably won’t record much of it to review at a later date. (Same goes for the Republican Convention, by the way.) In fact, my personal choice would be to ignore the entire thing if I could.

However, when the Lord made me and decided I would be a policy analyst, He created within me an inquiring spirit that prevents me from taking anything for granted, makes me question even what I know, and requires me to strive to understand what makes people both agree or disagree with me.

So the internet engine was revved up this morning after I heard a reporter refer to Democrat candidate Barack Obama as the “embodiment of the American Dream.” I’m confused. I have read The Blueprint for Change, Obama’s plan for America. I couldn’t imagine how those policies could equate to the embodiment of what I consider to be the American Dream. Then I began to wonder, what exactly is meant when they (then media, politicians, etc.) use the term “The American Dream?” What is the history of that term? Has it changed with time?

The American Dream was a phrase first used in 1931 in the book The Epic of America written by James Truslow Adams. He said:

The American Dream is that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, and too many of us ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it. It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position.

The light bulb came on for me. Obama has achieved the American Dream. Against great odds, he came from a difficult childhood to be a candidate to run to be president of the United States. The problem is, his policies indicate that he doesn’t trust in other people’s ability to do the same. While hard work and personal initiative might have worked for him and his family, his policies indicate that other people cannot achieve the same results without government assistance.

At least, I hope that is what he believes. The alternative is that he understands that political power is increased when you make a constituency enslaved to the government dole.

Lord, show us how to search out the things You would have us know about the candidates who want to lead us. Give us wisdom during this election cycle.

No comments: