Friday, August 8, 2008

Wisdom

I love those who love me (wisdom), and those who seek me diligently will find me.
Proverbs 8:17


One of my favorite parts of being on the other side of 50 (old, advanced in years) is that I really am a lot wiser than I was at half my age. Most parents of teenagers have at one time or another wished that their child could have known them as a teenager, because back then they knew everything, too.

I probably peaked in knowing everything somewhere around 16 or 17 and have steadily been learning how much I do not know since that time. And, the older I get, the more I know I don’t know. But, I have increased in wisdom. And, wisdom is what the entire book of Proverbs is all about.

For 31 chapters, the writers of Proverbs go on contrasting wisdom and folly. There may be no more practical book to follow for everyday living than Proverbs for direction in things to do (or not to do) for a successful life. Advice on alcohol use, prostitutes, peer pressure, anger management, work ethics, marriage, relationships – all the things that we deal with in our lives on a daily basis - is covered in the book. In fact, almost all the answers available in any self-help book available today was probably first covered in Proverbs.

Wisdom is a character trait near and dear to God’s heart. Scripture tells us that wisdom was with God during the time of creation. When Solomon was made king, he recognized his inadequacy to rule over the people. His cry to the Lord was that he be given wisdom in his leadership. “So give Thy servant an understanding heart to judge Thy people to discern between good and evil.” (1 Kings 3:9). And, it goes on to say that God was pleased that Solomon had asked this thing.

There is no reason to wait until you are my age to begin the habit of seeking wisdom. Begin today to study the Book of Proverbs and make it a lifelong habit. You are never too young to seek wisdom and you will never be too old to seek it. But, you will always be at just the right age to suffer the consequences if you don’t.

Lord, give us understanding hearts of your ways. Increase our wisdom daily.

No comments: